Thursday, August 13, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers post: Mango Banana Daiquiris

I should start with a confession. Mangos and I have had a very turbulent relationship. See, I like mango flavored things, but I have yet to taste an actual honest-to-god fresh mango that was at all appealing to me. I'm sorry to say this didn't really help.

Mango Banana Daiquiris

serves 4

2 cups chopped ripe mango (1 to 2 mangos, peeled and seeded)

1 ripe banana, chopped

1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (4 limes)

1/4 cup sugar syrup

1 1/4 cups dark rum, such as Mount Gay

Mango slices, for serving

Place the mango, banana,  lime juice, sugar syrup, and rum in a blender and process until smooth.  Add 2 cups of ice and process again until smooth and thick.  Serve ice-cold in highball glasses with the mango slices.

Ina can't really be blamed for any of this. My ability to know when mangos are ripe is non-existent. So no matter how long I blended everything together it never got smooth. It was like super pulpy orange juice. I liked the general flavor of the drink, mostly because I could only taste the banana and rum. Turns out unripe mangos are flavorless pulp. All was not lost, I used the rum and some frozen strawberries to make strawberry daiquiris the next night that were downright yummy. 


Plus we served them with a delicious chicken quesadilla with homemade salsa. I have to say I'm quite proud of the little foodie I spawned. When I got home Shannon had already marinated the chicken in cayenne pepper (her new obsession) and lime juice and had started the salsa. It was really simple, just homegrown tomatoes, jalapenos, some onion, a little white wine vinegar. It was really tasty and totally made up for any disappointment in the cocktails. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about you taking all the credit for my foodie-ness. Hmph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The talent is all you darling! I'm just saying you weren't that into food when we met.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I am a new mango fan myself. Doug had to work dilligently to get me on board. I have learned that you want the mangoes to be soft, but obviously not squishy. If they are hard, throw them back. I think of the squishy-ness of a plum. I peel em with a knife, like apples, and then hack chunks away from the pit. It's become a staple in our fruit salads (except when Fareway has magoes that feel like rocks like yesterday).

    and even tho I have never met Shannon, I am giving her full props for her foodie-ness. Snap snap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When all else fails, Costco! They have fresh, sliced mango! Beats the guessing game. I have the same problem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read several other BB'ers who didn't care for the mango, either. Better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete