Sunday, May 16, 2010

Foodageddon: The Bakining

This time, it's personal

For the first time in god knows how long I had both days of the weekend off. Yesterday we spent the day running errands and being altogether far too productive. Today we woke up early-ish and I decided to make up for all the time baking I would have loved to have spent over the last few weeks (awkward sentence alert!). So here's the rundown:

1. Whole Wheat Banana Bread
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (3 large)
1 cup sugar
1/2 melted butter
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Traditionally you're supposed to mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients when you make quick breads. I'm sure there's some sort of science behind that. But I always mix my wet ingredients in my mixer then add all the dry stuff and it always seems to work.

So this either makes one giants loaf or two smallish sized loafs.

2. Lemon Scones
We've discussed these before.

3. Shannon's Oatmeal Cookies (she picked out the fixin's)
1 stick of Butter Flavor Crisco
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour plus one for coating cranberries
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups oats
1 cup chopped almonds
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Mix crisco, sugar, eggs, and vanilla together.
Mix flour, baking soda and salt together and add to sugar mixture. Stir in oats and almonds.
Coat cranberries in flour and add to the mixture.
The cookies should be about a tablespoon each. Bake for about 12 minutes or until golden brown.

These are particularly lovely. The dough is buttery and salty which plays off the chocolate so well. I'm hoping they freeze well too since I made so much today.

4. New Orleans Coleslaw
1 lb cabbage
1 carrot
2 scallions
1 stalk of celery
1/2 cup mayonaise
1/8 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper
1/3 cup chopped pecans

This was a last ditched attempt to use cabbage that's been in my fridge since st patrick's day. Now I only made this about an hour ago, so I can't tell you how the end product will turn out. But the initial tasting went over well. Shannon likes the sweetness of the maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment