Monday, February 2, 2009

Tiny cupcakes and doughnut holes, oh my

Couple of things to post today. The first is a recipe I got online for Spiced Chai Cake. I jut so happened to have some masala chai tea bags from work. I changed the recipe a bit since I didn't have ginger or cardamom in the house and the recipe called for a glaze but I opted for cream cheese frosting. They still turned out pretty yummy. Here's the recipe for anyone whose interested:

2 tea bags steeped in 2/3 cup boiling water
1 cup all purpose white flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon apple pie spice (to replace 1/4 tsp each of ginger, cloves, and cardamom)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoons vanilla extract

I made them in tiny cupcake form, though I think next time I'll opt for a proper cake. But I had a new tiny cupcake pan and couldn't resist.










Last night after work, Shannon made me dinner. And for dessert we made donut holes in my deep fryer. I'm a sucker for fried dough of any kind, plus they took a whole five minutes to make.

Take a tube of buttermilk biscuits (we used store brand since it was all they had)
Cut each biscuit into quarters
Put them into hot oil (we used canola since we had it already). You have to flip them after a minute or two
Once they're all golden brown, put them in a brown paper bag with sugar, cinnamon, and orange zest.

They were amazing. Like deep fried crack rolled in sugar.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...I love chai! And I think you were right to go with cream cheese icing! I think I may switch to these rather than my morning cup of chai tea! ;)

    ReplyDelete