Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sweet Potato Scones


These were actually meant to be pumpkin scones, but it turns out the can of puree in my cupboard was sweet potato instead. Either way they were pretty yummy. The original recipe came from That's So Vegan, I made just a few tweaks. 

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup canned sweet potato
3/4 cup soy milk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup brown sugar, plus a little extra for sprinkling


1. Preheat your oven to 450ยบ and lightly oil a baking sheet (I used my silpat).
2. In a large bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and stir well. In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, soy milk, applesauce and brown sugar. 
3. Add the wet into the dry and mix until just combined. This made 6 large scones for me, but I'd probably cut them down and aim for 10 medium-ish. Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until the tops begin to brown. 

I think next time I'd definitely make them smaller. Maybe adding golden raisins or pecans. But in general these will definitely go in to rotation.


No comments:

Post a Comment