Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mexican Inspired Grilled Cheese

I saw this spicy grilled cheese posted a ton of times on pinterest and it sounded amazing. I still had some manchego left in the fridge so it seemed like fate.
 I started by combining a tablespoon of soft butter with a sprinkling of chipotle powder. The original recipe calls for a mix of garlic, paprika, and chili powder which also sounds delicious. But I'm completely in love with the smokey heat of chipotle. I think the slow heat lets me think I'm a spicy food loving badass since it doesn't hit you all at once. Who doesn't love an ego boosting spice?
 Being a good Iowa girl, I always have frozen corn in my apartment. 9 times out of 10 when Jim and I are planning dinners he'll ask "Should we have a vegetable?" and I'll respond "Well, I have some corn..." regardless of what we're making. So the bread has been slathered with chipotle butter and placed open faced on the pan. I added shredded Manchego, corn, and pickled jalapenos (again, I somehow always manage to have these on hand).
Do I get points for getting this far in to the post without using the phrase "It's like a fiesta in your mouth!"
While I love my version, I do think her use of Texas toast would make this even better. I would have liked to add a bit more corn and jalapenos but was afraid my sandwich would collapse under the pressure. Definitely getting added to the rotation!

No comments:

Post a Comment