Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Summer of Living Frugally: Brown Bagged Lunches

In an effort to avoid spending way too much money buying my lunch and snacks everyday at work, I'm going to try to prepare a lunch and take it with me. Hopefully I'll be able to see those dollars adding up after a while. (Seriously, I spend at minimum $3/a day just on coffee. That's $60 a month I could be saving.)

And since I make lunches like I'm still in elementary school, i.e- dessert is the most important part, I decided to make a nice big batch of chocolate chip cookies. Although this batch has a special surprise guest.


 I started with a no-fail recipe from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking. I cannot say enough great things about this book. Everything I've tried is delicious and super easy. One tip though, read all the way through recipes and make sure to give yourself plenty of time. They ask for a lot of things to chill or rest that I wouldn't expect needed it (like chocolate chip cookies for instance, they want the dough chilled for 6 hours!)
 I started putting my ingredients together when I realized I didn't have quite enough dark brown sugar. A comment on my post about Dave's Coffee Syrup suggested using them to make cookies so to make up for the 1 tablespoon of brown sugar I was missing i added 2 tablespoons of coffee syrup. I also cut back on the white sugar, from a half cup to a third so they wouldn't get too sweet.
 Also, instead of chocolate chips I used a block of Callebaut bittersweet chocolate broken in to chunks.
I think I might have been overly worried about the sweetness. Between the bittersweet chocolate and cutting back on the white sugar these aren't terribly sugary at all. In fact next time i might add another tablespoon of coffee syrup. They are still very good. I think the coffee syrup adds some caramelly undertones which are really nice. And I won't induce a sugar coma half way through my shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment